Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Brother in Idaho Prison Needs Assistance

I have a brother in the Idaho prison in Boise. He has numerous health problems, including bipolar disorder, type 1 diabetes and dystonia.

He is only getting 4 of his 11 physician prescribed medications, which is adversely affecting his health. A few days ago he suffered an insulin reaction. His blood sugar went down into the 30's. It could have been avoided if the guards had not taken the food he is allowed to keep in his room to prevent such reactions.

If anyone knows of an prisoner advocacy group there, please let me know. I've not had much luck online, and Idaho is a bit backward when it comes to dealing with mentally ill prisoners.

Actually, they are backward with dealing with the mentally ill period. When my mother was severely depressed and in the midst of a disassociative attack, the police were called because my mother was turning violent. Did they take her to a mental health facility or hospital? No, they arrested her. Yes, arrested her. It's Idaho's way of dealing with the mentally ill when the police are called to help. When she finally came out of the dissassociate fugue, she found herself in chains before a judge. She should have been in a hospital, not in jail. That gives you an idea of what the Idaho criminal justice system is like when dealing with the mentally ill.

I don't know if the ACLU deals with this type of problem my brother is having, but I'm sure John probably isn't the only prisoner having these problems. I've emailed the ACLU and I'm awaiting a response. Because has no access to computers, so I'm doing the virtual legwork for him. If anyone can help, please let me know and feel free to pass on my email (bovina_sancta@yahoo.com) to anyone you think might be able to help John.

At this point I am concerned for his life. If he had not been found the other night, he could have died from the insulin reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment